Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Going Home

Lately I've been volunteering at an elderly home. My newest aquaintance is Louise, who will be 105 years old in December. She’s an amazing woman, full of vitality and humor. Yesterday she mentioned her upcoming birthday, and that she would then “start asking Father to bring me home.”

She went on to explain that she envisions there being a door. And without a physical body she can’t turn the knob to open it herself. But that all the good deeds and intentions, and loving relationships and grace from her lifetime will one by one open the door a little more and a little more, until the door is open and she can enter.

I suspect that once the door is “open” she will be overcome with home, without having to enter or do anything at all. She will become Home.

Her Wisdom shakes me. My piddly 35 years to her 105. I feel like a child basking in the sun.

(Engraving by William Blake.)

No comments:

Post a Comment