Sunday, March 21, 2010

Never Turn Back

This weekend I attended a choral concert of old “negro” spirituals at the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Richmond, Virginia. The church, which sits austerely on the corner overlooking a city park, was built in 1858 by members of the Third African Baptist Church. In 1864 the church obtained its first black pastor and in 1866 the first Richmond public school for black children commenced in the church’s basement. It is a landmark location, abundant with history and power.

One Voice Chorus chose the site for its concert entitled, “Never Turn Back”. And on a warm night, the first day of spring, fans a’ fluttering in lady’s hands, they began with the spiritual written by Hall Johnson, I’ll Never Turn Back No Mo’. As they sang those words, each section of the chorus twittering or roaring on cue with the deep melancholic hope of spiritual song, I felt tears rise in my eyes for I knew that it’s true:

Once you start down the path of the journey of faith, you can never turn back.

Because even when we falter; even when the world turns dark and cold again just when we thought we were finally safe; even when uncertainty rears its chimera head, we can’t undo the Seed that grows warm, moist, loved in the sun of our hearts.

The concert's program offered a chance for recognition of shared history. Of slavery. Of Freedom. Of personal salvation. We went down to Deep River and attempted to Wade in the Water. We heard The Old Ship of Zion there. We remembered Daniel being saved from the lion, and that when you have nothing in life at all but faith, offer what you have, So I’ll Sing with My Voice.

One Voice Chorus exists to promote diversity and racial harmony. Their mission is to work “toward healing and racial reconciliation between Americans of African and European descent.” And that night they beamed a beautiful gradation of color and voice in the old church of red velvet curtains, balconies, shining wood pews holding hymnals in pockets. I’m grateful to my brother for finding his way to the bass section up in the back of the choral tiers so that I too have been welcomed and I too have been able to openly praise with hymns sung by my historic ancestors, who are surely as deeply a part of me as anything this country has handed down.


No comments:

Post a Comment